Sunday, August 25, 2013

Songs My Mother Sang

Mom never sat down and sang us songs as Daddy did. She sang and whistled as she worked. I remember this song she sang.

"Life's evening sun is sinking low
A few more days and I must go
To meet the deeds that I have done
Where there will be no setting sun.

Each day I'll do a golden deed
By helping those who are in need
I'll try to turn the night to day
Make flowers bloom along the way.

Another song I remember is Two Little Girls in Blue.

An old man gazed at a photograph
In a locket he'd worn for years.
His nephew asked him the reason why
That picture had caused him fears.

Listen he said and I'll tell you lad,
A story that' s strange but true
Your father and I at school one day
Met two little girls in blue.

Two little girls in blue lad
Two little girls in blue.
They were sisters
And we were brothers,
And we learned to love the two.

One little girl in blue lad
Won your father's heart
Became your mother
I married the other
But we have drifted apart.

Other songs she sang were:

Corn Bread and Butter Milk
Good Old Turnip Greens
The Big Rock Candy Mountain
After The Ball Was Over
Come and Dine
The Golden Bells
The Unclouded Day
What A Friend We Have In Jesus
On The Jericho Road


No comments:

Post a Comment